Thursday, February 12, 2015

Guilty Confessions of a Coffee Drinker & How It Relates to Jesus

It is Tuesday morning. So far the week is off to a great start. Baby is starting to sleep a little better which means I am sleeping a little better. My paid work is caught up. And my husband and I had a great weekend together before he started his crazy weekly schedule.

"I want to celebrate!"  I thought, "...Starbucks on the way to Tuesday morning bible study. Perfect!"

I was pumped!!!

Grabbing baby (and all associated gear) plus bible study materials, I headed out the door a few minutes early to make this celebratory stop.

Side Note: If you have been reading my previous blogs, you might remember the long blonde hair in my Starbucks drink last week? Upon leaving the drive-thru I called the store to inform them of my blonde-hair discovery. They said the next drink was on them.

I made my way to the same Starbucks and got in the drive-thru line...(the correct way! It only took me 3 years to figure out the unspoken rule of the 'correct' entrance point). So, on this particular Tuesday, on top of all of the other good things happening, I was going to get a free Starbucks drink (which I was thankful for because I had no money left on my Starbucks card!).

I decide to splurge a little and get a latte instead of an Americano (Watch out! Real party girl over here!!). I spoke my order into the drive-thru microphone and slowly rolled forward, patiently waiting for those ahead of me to collect their drinks. For some reason I was a little nervous about using my "recovery" drink. A weird thing to get nervous over, I know. You see, the manager just took down my name and nothing else.   ...would they know who I was? ...would they believe me? ..would they still honor it? I had all of these thoughts and more bouncing around in my head.

It was finally my turn. As I approached the pay-station, I roll down my driver's side window in anticipation of my piping hot non-fat latte. It took a minute to be recognized...the morning rush was in full swing. The barista approached the window, handed me the latte and said, "The person in front of you bought your drink."

***I was shocked***

"Wait. What?" My internal thought continues, "No, I was going to use my 'recovery' drink...I'm really confused AND blessed all at the same time."

I got so flustered and shocked, I simply said, "Wow! Okay. Thank you!" And then drove away. My mind was reeling. As I left the drive-thru line and approached the main road, turning right, the direction of church, I began to feel guilty.

Why did I feel so guilty about receiving a gift that someone gave me with no obligation and much generosity? I mean, I didn't have to accept the drink. Then. I began to feel bad about not digging though the change in the car to put towards the person's drink behind me or better yet, using my recovery drink. In the moment, these thoughts did not even cross my mind until I was halfway at church. I was overridden with guilt. 

I know that the person who purchased my drink wanted 
to bless me, not make me feel guilty. 

And then I remembered someone else who gave me a gift with no expectation and much generosity...

JESUS!

In this simple act of kindness from a stranger at Starbucks, Jesus reminded me that He gave up His life for me...not to bring guilt, not to force me to follow a million rules, not to sacrifice for others out of obligation, not to make me feel bad for accepting the sacrifice that He made for me on the cross.

He gave me this gift out of love, generosity, compassion. Jesus died to give me life! He made the greatest sacrifice. In return, he desires my response to be from a heart of the same love, generosity and compassion. He desires me to serve those around me not out of obligation but because it pleases Him. It is sometimes hard for me to understand this great Love, but even through a simple random act of someone purchasing me a Starbucks drink, I see the fingerprints of God; and remember that I am a temple of the Living God who desires to bless me abundantly.

"...I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:10

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..." Romans 8:1

"Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God which He has given you." Deuteronomy 16:17

No comments:

Post a Comment