Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Mother Will Do Anything....

It is Friday morning. Most people (without kids) might be excited that the week is finally over. For me, the weekends just run together separated from nothing but the drudge of the same routine. On this particular Friday, I was exhausted (to say the least)!! Baby girl was up every 30-60 minutes during the night (and of course, this happened on a night my husband was working a 24+ hour shift). Of course!

I debated whether or not I should go to my baby-friendly exercise class (Stroller Strides) but decided that since I was already up I might as well make the most of it. So, I put on my "Friday-Best" face, changed into my workout clothes, packed up baby, and headed toward the gym in the DUMPING rain. (I'm thankful I even made it there through my foggy-sleep deprived brain!)

Once I arrived, I was greeted by the familiar, supportive faces. Even with a fussy, overly sleepy baby class was great. Not to say that it was the best workout, but it was good to get out of the house and interact with others who really didn't need (or want) anything from me...for a WHOLE HOUR!! It was great! 

During class, I was hoping baby would fall asleep. She is accustom to falling asleep in public places, snug in her car seat, despite noise and commotion. But on this day? OH NO...she stayed awake from 7:30-11:15am! 3.75 Hours!!! (On top of a very sleepless night) This is very rare for her. To say she was grouchy was an understatement. I was not looking forward to what I thought would happen next.

Class was over and I rushed out so that others would not have to listen to the whimpers of my little human. "She was hungry," I thought, "I will feed her when I get home." I briskly walk to the car to avoid as much of the rain as possible. Swung baby in the backseat, secure in the car seat base, threw the stroller in the trunk and ran to the driver's seat. Phew! We made it...a little wet, tired, and frustrated but we made it into the car. (A huge accomplishment on this day).

Leaving the parking lot, I heard cries, whimpers, and screams from the backseat. By the time I made it 2-minutes down the street, the backseat was silent! At first I thought I just tuned out her noise (a super-power I gained with Motherhood), but when I looked back...she was fast asleep!

"Really??!! Now?! Well, I might as well make the most of it."

Knowing that the pounding rain and the jostling it would take to remove the car seat from the back would wake her up, I decided to go to Starbucks. The drive-thru of course! (I have never used drive-thru's as much as I do now that I am a mother!!).

I purchased a drink and breakfast sandwich and wondered where I should go. I thought about driving down to the water to enjoy the view with my Starbucks treats, but my mind went into auto-pilot and before I knew it I was sitting at home in my driveway...in the pouring rain...with a (FINALLY) sleeping baby.

What's a mother to do?

Slowing pulling up the E-Brake (pulling it too fast wakes her, I have discovered), turning off the car,  reclining my seat, turning up the music (slightly), I enjoyed 40-minutes of "relaxation." Yes, I was just sitting in my car...in my driveway! The falling rain was somewhat therapeutic. The Starbucks coffee (with a long blonde hair in it...YUCK!) was a "nice" treat. The cold breakfast sandwich was just enough to curb my hunger. But the sleeping baby in the back.... PERFECTION!

I soon began to realize a mother will do anything for her baby....here is the evidence:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment