Monday, April 3, 2017

Growing a boy: Day 2, Wait on the Lord (Tyler)

Wait

Today I find myself waiting quite a bit.  Most people who know me and my wife know there is a fair amount of activity in our life.  There is not too much waiting, more doing.  From the moment when the kids wake up at 6am, to the time my head lays on the pillow after 14 hrs of working around 2am, I am constantly moving.  It has been this way for the last few months.  Now I have been thrown into this pattern of waiting.  This is only day 1 at Children's Hospital and I find myself looking for things to do.  I met the staff for morning rounds then went to go get breakfast.  It took 7 minutes to walk to the cafeteria, 3 minutes to eat, and 7 minutes to walk back.  That only took 17 minutes out of the day.  I was back in Oliver's room ready to do something, but really I wasn't needed.  I stroked his hair and sat down to type this (because I have to be doing something here.)

Go is teaching me to wait on him.  He reminded me of Ps. 27:14
Wait on the Lord,
Be strong, and let your heart take courage;
and wait for the Lord!

God has placed me in a location where there is nothing to but Pray and love on Oliver, and answer questions for the Providers.  Here, I am no longer Brandi's caretaker during healing, I don't know anyone here, there are no distractions, I don't have a badge to steal food from the doctor's lounge. I have work off for the next 3-4 months and the kids are safe at Gram-Gram's and Papa's house.  God is teaching me to wait on Him.

I am reminded of the biblical definition of "Wait."
Hebrew: Qavah
In hebrew, "wait" doesn't just mean to delay an action or to be eager for something to happen.  It also can has this component of twisting, binding together.  I get this picture of an uncomfortable action that causes growth or improvement.  The word is used elsewhere to describe 2 cords being spun together to increase it's strength.  God is increasing my strength and faith as Oliver progresses.

Through this I am starting to understand James 1:2-4
Consider it all pure joy, my brothers, when you meet trial of various kinds, for you know the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.


-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment