Saturday, April 22, 2017

Growing a boy: Reset & Reboot

Tomorrow is the Sabbath. A day that should be set aside to reboot and reset before another week begins. A day to give thanks to God. A day of reflection. It sounds peaceful, serene. In today's culture some of the world stops...closes for the day. Shuts down. Rests. When it does it gives us an excuse, a reason, to take things a little slower.

For example, no mail can be sent or delivered. No face-to-face banking transactions can be made. It is as if it is a "free space" while playing BINGO...one more day to rest.

Longing.

My heart longs for this type of rest. This type of peace. Just one moment when I can reboot my soul...reset my settings. Take a breath without worry of missing out on the things that are most important to me: my relationship with God, husband, kids, family and friends.

Reflection comes in the short drive from my house to the hospital. It comes when I have a moment to go to the bathroom or when I finally take time to eat a meal or drink some water. My mind gets clouded by the list of things that needs to get done...should get done...or haven't gotten done.

My once focused heart has turned to survival in the midst of the challenging days I encounter. I'm thankful for music that stirs my heart back to the Creator...random Bible verse I see as a scroll through the pages of Facebook. The friends who visit me in the hospital...simply to visit with ME...not to see my preemie son or get the latest medical update...just to see (and recognize) me. It is refreshing.

Life in the throws of challenges is more deeply intertwined with every aspect of my life. I never imagined that I would be so effected physically and emotionally as I have been. As much as I want a reset, a reboot, I am thankful for my current sufferings.

James 1:2-5

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

It is with this perspective I have done so well. I have my moments of tears yet through those tears I see God's grace and tender mercies towards me as I look into the face of the 6 pound infant HE decided to save. I am eternally grateful to the Father of Life for allowing us these days with our third child. Although the verse above promises that I will be mature and complete...lacking nothing...I still have a ways to go. It is a life journey of living the Sabbath everyday. Taking moments every day to reset, reboot, refocus, reflect and fix my eyes on the Creator who gives life.

What a miracle it is to be seen by Him, used by Him, and preserved by His gracious hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment