Saturday, April 1, 2017

Growing a boy: Thankfulness from a dad's perspective

Thankfulness
By Tyler Harrington

What does God mean in scripture to be thankful?  Why should I be thankful when my son is fighting for his life and hasn’t even been born?  Why should I be thankful that my wife’s abdomen is so stretched she can’t even walk, sleep, or even roll over? She is in intense pain, battling the anxious thought that our son could die inside of her or shortly after giving birth.  We are so helpless, why be thankful?

These were questions that were running through my head a few days ago.  I sat in the hospital bed, lackadaisical, just wasting time watching Netflix.  Then I heard the news, Ollie had fluid in his belly where it shouldn’t be.  From what I remember from medical school that mean he only had about a 25% chance of survival.  For the first time, I hit my knees in prayer.  It saddened me at that moment, that it took the very real thought of loosing him for me to actually turn to God.  Every time the Doctor said “This is looking pretty bleak,”  God kept saying “It is my face you should seek.”  The survival odds got better with each negative test, and I was reassured by my wife saying “God has knit this child together in my womb just the way he wanted him to be.”  God comforted me with the revelation that He doesn’t operate under the limitations of odds ratios and bleak outlooks.  I was starting to see something to be thankful for.

Having left for the hospital in a hurry, I did not bring my bible.  Now in the midst of a war I was craving God’s word more then ever.  When I asked our friend, she lent me her Bible without hesitation.  As I turned through the pages, I was able to see the many ways God had worked in her life and lessons she had been taught.  It was her personal bible that she had spent years highlighting and reading. It was so encouraging to see that God knows us each individually and meets each of us where we are at.  He is big enough to do that.  I flipped through the pages and started reading one of my daughter’s favorite passages, Dan 6, Daniel and the Lion’s Den.  The Lord showed me something in 6:10.  After the King had made the edict if anyone worships someone other then the king, that person shall be thrown into the lion’s den.  Daniels response:

When Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he went to his house where he had windows in his upper room open toward Jerusalem.  He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously. Dan 6:10

Did you catch that, a law came down that would surely sentence him to being kitty food and he gave God thanks.  His faith in God was not changed by the trial, he did what he always did.  Daniel went to speak with his Father, he gave thanks in the midst of the trial.  I am reminded of Romans 8:28:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.


If you look at the end of Daniel 6, the king, having seen God’s power in action and Daniel’s faith, makes a new declaration:

26 “I make a decree, that in all my royal dominion people are to tremble before the God of Daniel, for he is the living God, enduring forever;
his kingdom shall never be destroyed, and his dominion shall be to the end.
27 He delivers and rescues;
he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth,
he who has saved Daniel from the power of the lions.”

So I echo that statement to myself and all who are reading this.  As we trust God, as we press forth into the unknown, as we continually lift up Ollie and Brandi to only one who can save them.  He delivers and rescues; he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth, Amen!

Thank you for joining us in this battle.  I look forward to the testimony that God is building in us and through us, no matter the outcome.  And most of all…  I look forward to introducing you to our son.


No comments:

Post a Comment