Saturday, January 9, 2021

Growing in Faith: I give up

 I am right in the middle of my 3rd basket of laundry..sort, fold. Sort. fold. I have a deep desire to just "skip it," walk away and leave the task unfinished. Every morning, our dishwasher gets unloaded. I think, "does this really matter? I can just leave the rest for later."

Never in my life have I had such compelling thoughts about not accomplishing these daily tasks. I am not sure why I am experiencing this struggle, now, at this moment in time: stress, lack of sleep, feelings of being overwhelmed maybe? Regardless, I have to fight the urge to give up. I have to press on. I have to give myself a pep talk about the benefits of completing such (minor) tasks. 

This morning as I was struggling with the morning routine of unloading the dishwasher, I remembered this verse: 

Colossians 3:23-24

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

 A shift of focus, from the Holy Spirit. Yes, these tasks I do unto the Lord! Sure, my family benefits from them (and so do I) but that is not my primary audience. I do these tasks for the Lord. I care for the possessions HE has given me (and my family). Today, I will think on this verse more. I will choose joy while I work on such minor tasks; I will persevere through them with a different attitude because my heart is now working for the Master of my life.

Are there tasks in your life that you need to perform for the Lord rather than human eyes? Are you seeking human approval for a job well done or seeking the inheritance of heaven? Whether it be parenting, completing spreadsheets, delivering packages or simply doing the laundry and the dishes, God wants to be the center of it all. We should seek His best. We should seek to please Him over seeking the approval of others on this planet.

This day, comitt your tasks to the Lord. Accomplish them for HIM and Him alone.

Maranath.

~B~

No comments:

Post a Comment