Saturday, January 30, 2021

Growing a boy: Climbing a mountain...daily

First...THANK YOU. Thank you all for your prayers. We can feel them. Thank you for your encouragement. We need them! God knew community was so valuable and we are beyond grateful for the one surrounding us now. YOU are a part of that.

So a little update...

OSH IS EXCITED! Wow! He is so excited about his upcoming appointment at the hospital daddy use to work in--so much so that he has already begun to pack his "-uggage" with stuffies and Little People toys. He decided he wants to bring along some clothes and is also wondering if he can take a picture with the big machine...all by himself. He is excited he gets a date with "just dad" and is even more excited to pick any food he wants after his big appointment. This is truly a blessing! It brings me peace to see him excited to go to the hospital for his upcoming "picture appointment." 

God has heard our prayers (but let us keep praying!).

 

From the last blog to this, I spent much time online learning & re-learning about fine motor function and activities that could help OSH strengthen his grasp, specifically pencil grip for preschoolers. (Fine motor skills...something OSH has struggled with since infancy). I found a FANTASTIC blog written by an anonymous occupational therapist describing many activities such as using smaller broken crayons because they "force" a child to use a tighter grip (too bad I just threw out all of our broken crayons) and "pencil grips." Little did I know....WOW...there are VERY strong opinions about pencil grips. I will spare you the details, but we decided to take a "$10 risk" to purchase a pack of three pencil grips. When they arrived yesterday, I was eager to try them out...and OSH DID GREAT! All this to say...neurological deficits (or not), I feel empowered with some new tools that I can use at home to help OSH grow in his "scholastic" and "artistic" and everyday abilities. 

In life, we often take the simple things for granted like holding a pen, holding a toothbrush, scooping yogurt onto a spoon, opening a door handle or pulling up our pants. To my son, these are mountains he has to climb multiple times every. single. day. And I am SO proud of him for doing it! Without realizing, he is persevering through difficult tasks moment by moment with a smile and good attitude (most of the time). He is too young to feel "sorry" for himself and has yet to make up excuses as to why he can't do something. I PRAY he never does. I pray that every day, he keeps climbing up his mountains, conquering them one after the next. I BELIEVE IN HIM! He is my inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Hallelujah for the small and large wins and blessings captured in this blog. We will continue to pray!

    I am "reading" an audio book by Dr. Dobson right now. I had no idea that he had significant physical disabilities with walking as a child. (It's the boundaries with kids book.) I have been blessed and stunned by some of what I am hearing, as it is encouraging me in ways I didn't know that I needed. And to hear his story of how his parents love and encouragement forever affected his physical successes and his emotional ones. It's taking the idea of discouragement/frustration of kids to a whole new level for me. It may be a blessing to you and Tyler as well, as you navigate with all of your kiddos. Each of mine has a very different need, and it has already helped affect the flow of our days, by implementing some simple shifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And do know, you are already doing amazing things! And your precious son is flourishing in the umbrella of your care. I just wanted to share another resource, if it could also add to the cup of ideas in any way. ❤️

      Delete