Saturday, January 16, 2021

Growing in Faith: I am offeneded

Offended: resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult.

How often are you offended (see definition above)? I find myself offend quiet often. I make scenarios up in my head about some fictional reason someone has not called me back or reached out. I get offended when my husband puts his dirty dish in the sink (when the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty). And I get offended when my children complain about a meal I spent hours preparing. 

I get offended.

But is this the correct response? No...it is a lack of confidence in my relationships and in my God-given abilities. And I recognize, that being offended (although the emotions are real) does not promote growth towards Christ-likeness.

Jesus has something so say about being offended, "...blessed is the one who is not offended by me." [Matthew 11:6]

As I read, I paused...to be offended by Jesus would mean that I am annoyed at Him or resentful of Him. Or believe that He causes me to stumble. It means I would not share about who He is or what He has done out of fear of being mistreated. To be offended by Jesus would mean that as He directs my life, I would become irritated as He tells me to do this or go there or give away that. In my pride, I would allow Jesus to offend me.

But, dear children, there is a different way! As Jesus leads our lives, He calls us to sit at His feet, humble ourselves and learn from Him. He calls us not to shout or yell in the streets about what we are offended about but rather go away in private, directly to Him. And when we are offended (by Jesus or anyone else) to go to the SOURCE first...don't "bad-mouth" or joke coarsely out of anger or simply to "make myself feel better."

In a season where we can all become offended over politics or COVID restrictions, let us not sin in our "offended-ness." Let us build our confidence in Him who created you. Him who directs all of your steps....in Him who only seeks your good. Dear friends, let us learn from Jesus how NOT to become so easily offended and when we rest in Him, He will give us peace for our weary souls.


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30



No comments:

Post a Comment