Monday, January 25, 2021

Growing a boy: Ugh! The Turning Point

Nothing about our youngest is "normal." Yet I think about myself, my husband, our other two kids, my friends etc. And then I ask myself, "What really is normal?" because God has made us each so perfectly unique.

Over two months ago, I took OSH to a neurologist, per the recommendation of his Seattle doctors. In that neurological appointment, it was revealed that OSH does have neurological deficits...we just don't know what exactly they are or how extensive they are. The doctor placed OSH in a category, giving him a mild diagnosis (that I do not wish to share out of fear of labels and partially out of an unwillingness to accept such label). It was recommended that OSH receive a head MRI to further explore his deficits as well as a means to better facilitate his growth and learning. However, to get this MRI, OSH would need a COVID test and sedation. 

My initial thoughts, "NO! I WILL NOT PUT MY SON THROUGH THAT TO SIMPLY "KNOW" WHY HE ACTS THE WAY HE DOES...IT DOES NOT CHANGE WHO HE IS!" (as I type, I can feel my blood pressure rise)

My husband agreed that it was not a necessary procedure, especially given the raising cases of COVID in our city. SETTLED! DONE! I had my "normal" boy "back." (I could put his medical difference behind me and continue on as though he was and is in fact, normal.)

As the weeks have gone by since this appointment, my mind and head fluctuated in waves. "Ignorance is bliss, right?" I would say to myself. Or, "does it really matter if we know WHY or HOW these neurological deficits occurred?"  The doctor had three possible reasons for OSH's neurological hyper-responses. But did we need to know?

 

Then...the turning point 


This past week we have seen OSH have a difficult time opening a doorknob or holding his Legos in his right hand. He began to say things like, "Mom, this is not my power hand because it doesn't work as well, it is not stronger." 

Queue the heartbreak, heartbroken, heart shattering song.

My son is different. Now, I need to know why.

So in the coming weeks, on a scheduled Friday, our sweet youngest will stop eating by 2am. He will stop drinking by 8am, he will get sedated and then, in the early morning, have his head scanned. To say that I am terrified is an understatement. Will there be complications with his sedation? How will his lungs do as he is "under?" How will he manage not being able to eat? Will he be able to handle the noises of the hospital? And on and on it goes...

And...only one parent can go. I so badly want to be there with him; however, Daddy stepped up to fill a spot that I think I would otherwise be too emotional to fill. So what then should be my response? 

PRAISE, TRUST, FAITH and HOPE that our little boy was created FOR and BY God. In his life, God will work all things out. So, I *try* to put my fear aside and embrace this opportunity to display God's unrelenting love to our son and to the watching world. Because God has made us all unique, our own kind of normal to show the world just how GOOD God really is.

Please join us in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment