Monday, May 28, 2012

What is Jesus teaching you?

When I was in Bible school, I would always be asked the question, "What is Jesus teaching you?" What a great and thought-provoking question! When taken to heart, this question really reveals how deep and intimate my relationship with Jesus really is.

The past few days have brought a new awareness about my relationship with Jesus. My husband had his last day of work so that he can go to medical school full-time. On Thursday, my husband (and 8 others) left in hopes to summit Mount Rainier. The next day, I had two friends arrive from Germany, one of which was my roommate in Bible school. They will be staying in our home for a week. There has been a lot of transition and worry in my life over the last few days.

Last night, as I sat with my two German friends and my husband (who climbed off the mountain due to avalanche conditions), we asked each other this question, "What is Jesus teaching you?"

It took me a second to collect my thoughts. My mind was overwhelmed and distracted by the dirty ice cream bowls on the table and the dishes that needed to be turned on. In that moment of chaos, I fully looked to Jesus and reflected on all that HE has been teaching me.


  • Live IN today without worrying. Do not live in tomorrow because we are not guaranteed anything but today. 
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Matthew 6:34
  • As my husband was climbing the mountain, I found myself in constant prayer about his safely. God showed me that this is the way I am supposed to be everyday regardless of what is happening in my life. He calls me to be in conversation with Himself all day. 
"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." Ephesians 6:18
  • Like Jesus, I need to take time away to be with God. My German friends are WONDERFUL at this and such a great example. They ask to go alone on a walk or say they don't want anything but time with Jesus. WOW! I need their example in my life!
"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35
  • We were all made for a purpose, step into it without comparison to others. 
"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10
  • He is reminding me that it is a blessing to serve and doing so I am giving myself fully to Jesus. The more opportunities I receive, the more I understand my spiritual gifts of serving and hospitality. 
"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another." 1 Peter 4:10
  • Allow others to serve me because this could be their spiritual act of worship.

So, those are just a few things that God had reminded me of over the last week. It was a great question to be asked last night; it was even greater to stop to reflect and verbalize all that He has been doing. 

So, I ask you, "what has Jesus been teaching you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment