Saturday, May 26, 2012

What have I done with my Gift?

Recently, I have found myself caught up in the materialistic world (even if only in my head). I compare what I have (or don't have) with the possessions of others. My faulty thinking leads me to believe that I "NEED" this new thing or that new object to have a complete life. It is not bad to desire nice things or save up for a special something; however, I must remember that my life is not my own. My life is a gift from God. 

What have I been doing with my gift?

It reminds me of John's caution against the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the boastful pride of life. (1 John 2:16)

The NLT states it this way, 

"For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world."


WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!? Have I really strayed that far from God that I consider and label the things that God has given me as not enough? When I talk to God and "tell" Him all the things I need, aren't I, in  a sense, telling Him what He has given me is not really enough.....give me more?


I display the characteristics of one with an ungrateful heart. Shame on me! The interesting part is that I think that I am good, that I am okay, and that "it is well with my soul." How easily I can become a hypocrite. I must remember that,


"The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" Jeremiah 17:9 (NLT)

Paul writes, "....there is no one who does good, not even one." (Romans 3:12)

So, in the light of these scriptures, I must remember that the only good in me is Jesus. When I walk away from Him and no longer have relationship with Him, my desires turn quickly to the world. My heart begins to deceive me and my selfishness becomes my primary goal in life. 

I realize (again) that there is a drastic difference between a want and a need, a difference of living in the natural verses living in the spiritual, and a difference between being self-dependent and God-dependent. My desire should be this:


"Do nothing from selfish or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others" (Phil. 2:3,4)

So, here is my prayer:


Dear Jesus-
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. Today, I need you. I turn away from my faulty thinking. I turn away from my selfish desires. I pray that YOUR will be done in my life and that I might be obedient....at all costs. Please forgive me for my wicked and divided heart. May my thoughts only be to serve you and by doing so, serve others. I thank you that my sins are forgiven and that I am dearly loved by you. Teach me your ways, Lord, that I might display your love, grace, and peace to others. I love you, Jesus!  ~Amen~


Where is your heart and motivations today?

No comments:

Post a Comment