Wednesday, May 16, 2012

God wisdom is foolishness to this world

Be anxious for nothing. Be anxious for nothing. Be anxious for nothing.

As I sit here at Starbucks, that is the verse that is being repeated in my head. I fight my flesh. "How can I be anxious for nothing when I have NO IDEA what is going to happen?!?!?"

My mind is flooded with, "What if?" and "I don't know if I can!" and "I don't even know how to start." and "What if no one likes me or what I bring to the table?"

When typing this, I am convicted of two particular situations....both, I might add, are out of my control.

In my flesh (especially my curse as a woman [Gen. 3]) I am prone to the desire to want to control. Yet, God has called me to trust in Him and Him alone for HE is in control. (Romans 8:26, Jer. 29:11)

Since I was 13 years old, I have soaked in scripture. I know the verses in the gospels and the epistles that tell me not to worry, but really what does this transaction look like? ....the transaction of releasing my worries to Jesus. Advice from friends make it sound so easy....just give your life to Him, just let it go, you know that God has your back. The words of "encouragement" go on and on (whether they are from friends or from the programmed responses in my head). Either way, I drown myself in anxious thoughts and worries.

Although I may not know the outcome of my two situations for awhile (one in a few weeks and the other at least 6 months!), Jesus calls me to rest in Him.

 ""Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matt. 11:28, 29

It seems so easy, doesn't it? I just see this picture of Jesus, holding His arms open just for me... to snuggle me in His warm and compassionate embrace.

In this realization, I remember that "He MAKES ME lay in green pastures." (Psalm 23:2; emphasis added).  And "He [alone] restores my soul." (Psalm 23:3). He has gifted me with two very difficult opportunities to trust in Him.  The wisdom of God is sometimes foolishness to this world, but these two particular situations are a gift and an opportunity to trust in my Maker. 

So, I surrender. I CHOSE to: trust, let the peace of Christ wash over me, "allow" His will to be done above my own, entrust Him with my future, and stop being afraid.

In this season of life, I cling to this verse, 

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." (Phil. 4:6)

What truth are you clinging to when you are faced with the SIN of worrying? The sin of being anxious? The sin of controlling? The sin of denying Christ the right to rule in ALL areas of your life? 

Release it! "For who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Luke 12:25)
 
Passages about worry, anxious thoughts and the peace of Christ:
  • Matthew 6:25-34
  • Philippians 4:6
  • Luke 12:25
  • 1 Peter 5:7
  • Isaiah 43:1-3
  • 2 Thessalonians 3:16
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 

No comments:

Post a Comment