Friday, June 22, 2018

Sabbath Summer: Resisting the Rush

Rest has always been a difficult thing for me to "accomplish." (See, even there I am driven). I desire to keep moving, keep going, plan the next meal, next party, next activity. It seems almost unnatural for me to stop, pause, breath and rest.

Summer Sabbath is teaching me to rest. I need to rest!

Since first establishing "SS" I have taken a different perspective to my world. I have noticed how I strive to clean even while I am playing with my children. I always find something to put away instead of just sitting on the floor to play dolls. When guests come over I fight the urge to clean up the meal while we are still in conversation. Going out, I rush my children to "get to the (car/play-park/store/etc.)" instead of enjoying the process and marveling at what they are discovering--what they are seeing wonder in. (Although I do believe that sometime YOU JUST NEED TO GET TO THE CAR! or put shoes on).

Oh, how much have I missed by my drive and desire to be busy and rushed.

I am thankful God is revealing this heart of mine so that I can surrender and be more present with those I am in the presence of. For me, this is a battle--- a literal battle---that takes mental and physical constraint. It takes capturing every thought unto the Lord and trusting that all of the important things that need to be accomplished WILL get accomplished (perhaps in a different pace). It is teaching me that it is okay to have dishes piled in the sink and unfolded laundry in baskets lining the wall in my living room. Because, after all, my children are only this young once in their lifetime.

SS is teaching me to savor the little but big movements: my first son's stamina to run...even at 2 1/2, my youngest son learning to drink from a sippy cup, my daughter's excitement when she wakes up with a dry pull-up (SO close to no more pull-ups!!). One child praying for the other. When my children clear their own meal dishes. When manners are used without prompting. When toys are shared generously. These are the moments I am savoring in this season of rest.

My eyes have been opened to see the good in my children--not just the areas that need re-directing or discipline. It is wonderful to see and know how precious each one is to God the Father and how I get to enjoy them for just a little time on this earth.

So, in this SS I am practicing rest--resistance to rush. Savoring the little moments. It has been a joy and I am excited to see what else God will reveal---although it might create more work. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment