Saturday, January 31, 2015

Holding the next generation...

Sure, having kids is a big decision & let's face it... even a bigger responsibility when they arrive on this crazy ground called planet earth.

Hours of discussion and even more hours of planning consume life until the arrival of the sweetest bundle of joy.

Honestly, no matter how many discussions or how much planning takes place, a part of you never fully understands the gravity & honor & privilege of being a parent until the moment you snuggle your little one.

I had one of these moments early this morning at 5AM.

At the hunger cry of my almost 6-month old, I swooped her out of her crib and brought her to the rocking chair. After nursing her, I had this incredible urge just to hold her tight. I treasured this moment...her sleepy body pressed against mine, the quiet softness of her breath, and the smell of her sweet skin. I sat there rocking her in the early morning in awe.

"I am holding the next generation."

In that pure moment of conviction and joy, Father God again reminded me of the importance of my job (and lifestyle) as a mother. WOW! I am holding and am responsible for the next generation.

At this revelation, I decided to do a search of scripture to confirm this early morning Truth. Here is what I found (in no particular order & by NO means is this a comprehensive list):

  • Psalm 145:4 Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts; let them proclaim your power
  • Deuteronomy 11:19 You shall teach them [Lord's commandments] to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.

  • Psalms 112:1-2 Praise the LORD! Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.

  • Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. 

  • Psalm 145:13 For your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom. You rule throughout all generations. The LORD always keeps his promises; he is gracious in all he does.

  • Deuteronomy 4:9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. 

  •  Titus 2: 3-5 Oder women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. 

Psalms 72:5
Let them fear You while the sun endures, And as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Generations#sthash.81zqOsuI.dpuf
This was just the encouragement I needed after two very long nights and a day like yesterday filled with baby fuss-muss-ness (yes, that is what I call her cranky days!). :) The overflow of my heart speaks out through my mouth (Luke 6:45). I want my heart to always be abundantly full and overflowing with love of my Heavenly Father so that I can train up my daughter, this next generation, in the ways of the Lord. I know that I can NEVER do this alone without the help of Jesus, encouragement from scripture and family/friends who are point me back to Jesus.

It is a great responsibility, holding the next generation in my arms and more than that training her in the ways of the Lord. But I am up for the challenge. How about you?



No comments:

Post a Comment