Friday, January 30, 2015

Father of Lies...

"You are wasting your time."

I spend most days sleep deprived, covered in spit up and singing crazy Raffi songs.

"These things don't 'really' matter."

I scoot around on the floor (more often than not in my jammies and with unbrushed hair), eat lunch over baby as I'm feeding her and pretty much sing my way through fussy tears and baby's tiredness with made up songs. (It seems singing our way through life makes the world a little easier to handle and diaper changes more bearable.)

"Don't you realize you are looking like a fool?!"

Piles of laundry and overflowing garbage often haunt me as does dust on the bookshelf and dust bunnies under the couch. (When have these things EVER been in my house before?!??)

"Keeping a clean house is the 'real' priority."

Unread magazines, unwatched movies, unpaid bill (not late bills!!), and the coupons I promised myself I would clip all sit on my coffee table beckoning for my attention.

"To be super mom, you really need to find time to do everything, including staying up on the latest gossip & TV shows and save every penny by clipping coupons."

Oh, yeah. I work full-time too! God has given me a perfect job, balanced with online and in-person hours. Even though I work mostly online from home, I still work full-time (despite what some people believe) while watching baby. Not an easy task when grading, lesson planning or advising. Oh- and the phone calls to students--I have resorted to shoving the pacifier in baby's mouth. (I hope I'm not doing permanent damage here!?) Really, it is working two full-time jobs at the same time while managing a household.

"Career should come first over raising a family, especially if you want to get anywhere in this life."

Some days after I put baby down for a nap or steal a mom-free moment while the cats entertain her (I love me some kitty entertainment!) and think, "Am I wasting my time? What in the world am I doing? Are any of these things in my chaotic life worth it?"
"Doing what you want over sacrificing for others is the only way to be truly happy."

LIES!!! LIES!!! LIES!!!

Everything I am doing IS worth it!! Why? Because it is a gift! EVERY BIT OF IT!! To working full-time as a mommy and wife to working full-time as an instructor to cleaning up after my husband, little human and kitties...it is all worth it!!

God reminded me of this verse in the Book of John 10:10,  "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

And, boy, is my life full! You see, God is the giver of our hearts' desire (Psalm 37:4) not the world. To some my priorities may seem backwards as I prefer relationships over earthly success. Time with my husband and child over a clean house and neatly folded laundry. However, scripture says friendship with the world makes me an enemy of God (James 4:4). God has rescued me from far too much for me to turn my back on Him and seek selfish pleasures and earthly pursuits! He is the only reason for my joy! When I trust Him and walk with Him daily, no matter what crosses my path during a day, I see it ALL as worth it. Not necessarily easy, but worth it. God's heart is directed towards investing in people not things or activities.

Daily I GET to make the choice: Will I give into the "Father of Lies?" or Will I choose Life (Deut. 30:19)?

Some days this battle is more difficult than others. The italic quotes above win and I believe my life is meaningless, but more often than not though the Holy Spirit, scripture, friends, and my sweet daughter's face, my Heavenly Father reveals Himself. He proves Himself faithful over and over again. So, at least for today, I choose LIFE. I choose to believe what I am doing is NOT worthless, but the biggest blessing and gift....I hope and pray I feel this same way tomorrow, the day after and for the rest this lifetime.

Blessings.
~B~

1 comment:

  1. I am excited that you are writing again. I appreciate your style, both humorous and convicting. Love you!

    ReplyDelete