Thursday, April 26, 2012

Everyone Can Do Something

Back in November, I attended the youth service at church. I overheard a conversation among a few of the teens. The one phrase that has been seared into my mind is, "We are teenagers. We don't count."

Now, I do not want to be presumptions, but don't these teenagers know the God who created them and who loves them? One of the most famous scriptures says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever should believe in him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) We all count to God! If we didn't He would not have sent His only beloved son to die for your behalf!

My heart aches for these kids (and everyone!) to know the depth of God's love and the sacrifices He made to make that possible. As I have been pondering this, I was reminded of this quote:
"No one can do everything, 
but every one can do something."

We ALL count!! We ALL matter!! We are ALL born with a purpose!! We have ALL been given different gifts to help each other out (even though your gift may seem insignificant to you)!!! "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."  (1 Peter 4:10)

I am so encouraged by this! 

Imagine if we all develop a greater confidence in the LORD, a greater confidence in the abilities and gifts that He has given us, and a greater confidence in our personal relationship with Him. WOW! Our world would be a drastically different place.

When I start to think big like this, I find myself overwhelmed. I find myself reverting back to my faulty thinking that says, "You can't change the world," "This problem is too big for just one person to handle," "You don't have the proper training."

Once I start down this path of thinking, it can be very difficult to escape the dark cave of my mind. I remind myself much of the teenagers who all "agreed" that they did not count.

Yet when I look at TRUTH (the Person of Jesus), I see where my thinking departed from His thinking. 

  1. First Truth: I cannot change the world. BUT Christ IN ME can!
  2. Second Truth: Jesus was 30 when he started his "public" ministry.....well, I am just 1 day away from that! :)
  3. Third Truth: I may not have any formal or "earthly" training, but the scripture says that the Spirit of the Lord will speak for me.

Now, there is a caveat to these three truths mentioned above. I must partner with God.

  • I MUST be obedient to God (Deut. 5:33)
  • I MUST spend time in His presences 
  • I MUST know His character (which I learn from reading scripture)
  • I MUST learn to rely on His way and not my own (John 14:6)

We must remember that God is with us! "What, then, should we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31) He is not only the cheerleader (or coach) on the sidelines, He is right there with us as we journey this life together!

So, where can you "count"? Where in your life can you allow God to use the gifts that He has given you? Remember, it is not about us or about our ability. It is about Christ in you, the hope of glory!" (Col. 1:27)


To learn more about these "spiritual gifts," here are some suggested reading:

  • Romans 12:4-10
  • 1 Corinthians 12
  • Ephesians 4
  • 1 Peter 4:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment