Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Resolve to Follow the Lord


When faced with difficult decisions, what do you turn to?

Every day I am called to make choices: What should I eat? What should I wear? How should I spend my free time? In many things God gives me the freedom to choose. He trusts me to make a decision that will uplift others and bring glory to Himself. In choosing, I am either saying yes to God or yes to my own selfishness. 

Yet, in other choices (more difficult choices) I find that my first, human response is selfishness, greed, and blame shifting. I try to justify or rationalize my thinking saying something like, “well, this is an accepted practice among my peers,” or the famous, “everyone is doing it.” The dialog in my head is nowhere close to how God, my Father, wants me to react. How shameful I feel when I compare myself to the cross. Despite these feelings, I must be reminded of the Truth, “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.” (Romans 8:1)

The decisions I make (whether big or small) say something about who God is and who God is in my life. If you were able to listen into these conversations, I wonder how you would be influenced to or away from the Kingdom.

Recently reading though the book of James, the author writes about how teachers will be held to a higher level of accountability because of the influence they have over those they teach. If this is the case, we will ALL be held to a higher level of accountability. Are we all not teachers of the Word merely by the way we act or react to the watching world (believers or nonbelievers)? Have we not been given the most amazing “Instruction Book” ever written? I am challenged by this passage in James as well as Romans 12:2, which calls us to “Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing, and perfect will.” 

I don’t know about you, but that seems like A LOT of work!!!! 

First, “do not conform…to the patterns of ‘THIS’ world.” How in the world do I do that? I have to realize that my “citizenship is in heaven” (Philippians 3:30) and that I am an alien and stranger to this world (1 Peter 2:11).  It is okay that I resist the thinking of this world, because this world is NOT my home. My home is in heaven!

Secondly, this passage calls me to be “Transform ‘BY’ the renewing of our minds” I LOVE the promise in 1 Corinthians 2:16 “We have the mind of Christ.” I have to turn my focus on Him and realize that we have been given every spiritual blessing in Christ. (Ephesians 1:3)

Lastly, then we will know what “God’s will is.” WOW! I can know God's will!?!?! Amazing!!

….to be constantly on guard against the powers of darkness (Ephesians 6), to lean not on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6), and to recognize that His ways are not my way and His thoughts are not my thoughts (Isaiah 55:8). I am thankful that I have Jesus to walk with me and help me in these decisions. (Joshua 1:5). 

To put these principles into application, over the past few weeks God has been challenging me to take responsibility for my choices. He wants me to trust that HE knows what is best, even if I have made a mess out of a situation. He reminds me of this passage, “For I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

In the middle of the chaos, He calls me to 1) STOP! 2) Look Up and 3) Recognize the power He has in my life. He is the Creator. He reminded me just because something in our society it is legal or popular does not mean that is it right in God’s eyes. The root of my life and focus needs to be Jesus and Jesus only!
I need to pray that the Spirit will stir up a fire so that I will hear the voice of God and go deeper into knowing Him! 

I need to resolve to follow the Lord. No matter where He takes me (or no matter what society says)! I may be the only Bible people read and the only example of Christ people may witness. I must remember to look to Christ in times of decision. Like the old song goes, “He holds the whole world in His hands.” I must believe that He is holding me life too, helping me make the right choices. Are you allowing Him to hold yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment