Thursday, April 26, 2012

God is Great Than Me? Really?

"Our God is greater. Our God is stronger. Our God higher than any other."


If you have listened to Christian radio lately, the above phrase has you humming the Chris Tomlin song titled, "Our God." What amazing words that capture the heart of our heavenly Father. Listening evokes this image of such a powerful, loving God who is also so personal with each one of us.


The first time I really listened to the words of this song was at the "Passion" conference in British Columbia in 2010. With over 20,000 voices singing their hearts out unashamedly, I sensed God smiling down on the arena. For a moment, as the strobe lights flashed about and the stage smoke dissipate, I stopped to listen and observe. This 20,000 person choir was a sight to behold!! Hands lifted, voices crying out, and hearts being brought closer to the True and Only Savior. I was breath-taken.


Today, I am brought back to the Power of the One the song is about: Christ. As I rolled out of bed this morning, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I made the bed, I tuned into the Chris Tomlin radio station on Pandora. "Our God," was the first song that played. In a new way, I was struck by this one phrase in the chorus, "Our God is higher than any other."


These words pierced my heart deeply. In my sleepiness, the first question that came into my mind was, "Really? God is even greater than me!?!?!" Now that I am FULLY awake (with a few cups of coffee and all!) I realize how silly this question was, yet I see a telling truth that needs to be teased out.


The world in which we live in is truly all about us. Fast food restaurants like Burger King tell us to "Have it your way." Starbucks tells us that our "Drink should be perfect all of the time. If not, let us remake it." On-Demand and Netflix make it easy for us to watch what we want, when we want. Stores like Albertson's and Safeway are now delivering groceries to your door at your convenience. The use of "smartphones" allows a person to obtain maps, facts, pictures....really whatever you want! I can create the world I want. I can surround myself with what I want. Me! Me! Me.


I am NOT saying that technology is horrible or Burger King is the devil or having an preferences are bad; however, I am convicted that I have let the patterns of this world, the acceptable practices of this world, to rule my life. Don't get me wrong, I love having my hamburger "my way" and the most "perfect," delicious, handcrafted double-tall-1 pump raspberry-nonfat-170 degree-latte. BUT where do I allow Christ to rule my life?


When in my life do I ask God to step in and transform my mind to focus on Him and His will for my life? When do I recognize my proper place in His Kingdom?


It is hard for me to think of "my" things as God's things.  "My" family as God's family. "My" money as God's money. It was even hard for me when I got married (a little over a year and a half ago) to combine bank accounts with my husband! I want to have full control over my life, my finances, my schedule and by golly, how the clothes got folded!!!! In 1 Timothy 6:7, I am reminded, "For we brought nothing into this world, and we can take nothing our of it." So, what control do I really have?


In my spiritual mind, I am saying, "Where does true eternal value lay in consulting God on spending the money He gives me, or giving of my borrowed time on earth to help a neighbor?"  Does it come from justifying my sin? Does it come from elevating myself above others? Does it come from mocking others to cover my own insecurities? In my flesh I battle with pride, arrogance, greed, selfishness. Then I am reminded of this verse, 1 John 2:16 " For ever"ything in the world---the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--comes not from the Father but from the world."


YIKES! I am so far into the world that I did not even realize it! Since when did I become "greater" than God, the Creator?! Expecting everyone to wait on my hand and foot? Blasphemy! May it NEVER be so! "What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yer forfeit their soul?" Matthew 16:26


God has chosen me (us). And because He has chosen me (us), I (we) have to come to an understanding about who I (we) am (are) in Christ. (John 15:19) I may not be popular in this world...even hated by the world. I will (learn to) sacrifice much of my own selfish desire to submit to His will. I may seem weak to those who do not understand the God I serve (2 Corinthians 12:9). Yet, I go back to Chris Tomlin's song. I am reminded that "Our God is greater. Our God is stronger. Our God higher than any other....(even me!!!!)" And for that I am thankful!


I need to heed the advice of the author James and "...keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27 This is no easy task, but I must ALWAYS remember "For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath." (Deut. 4:31).  God is indeed, Greater, Stronger, and Higher than any other...even me!!!  Where do you position God in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment