Thursday, July 5, 2018

Growing TWO boys: What is a gentleman

I have two boy, 15-months apart. Wow, huh? It sometimes even surprises me. As these boys get older, I desire to teach them how to be gentlemen. This looks vastly different (in some ways) than it use to look but regardless, I began a small-ish list of things I want to teach my boys. What am I missing? Can this really be achieved? I'm interested in your thoughts.

A Gentleman (in no particular order):
  • To have fun but not at the expense of others
  • Stands by his word: his yes is yes and his no is no.
  • Knows that no means no
  • Lets ladies go first: holds open doors, offers his seat, allows her to order at a restaurant first, considers the needs of others above his own
  • Is willing to be/go last to allow others to go ahead of him 
  • Makes decisions confidently and with much thought
  • Is honest, truthful--not leading other on
  • In conversation: Asks interesting questions, learns how to listen without interruption
  • Gives eye contact when speaking or when being spoken to
  • Understands (and executes) being well-groomed/taking care of appearance
  • Knows how to cook and conduct normal household chores
  • At the table: knows table manners, says please and thank you, allows the women to be seated first
  • Pays attention to the small details
  • Is friendly and respectful to everyone
  • Recognizes that character is more favorable than position
  • Knows how to offer an introduction in social settings
  • Can critically think/problem solve 
  • Excuses himself from a table/social setting to blow his nose or take a phone call
  • Takes care of what he owns: appreciates it, fixes it, puts it away
  • Offers to help those in need--whether it be to life a bag into a car or purchase a hot cup of coffee to the homeless on the street.

This list seems lofty, doesn't it? I have been thinking a lot about my boys and how I can best serve them as their momma, I want them both to be passionate and kind. To be gentle yet fierce. To be respectful and fun-loving. I want them to stand out in personality because of their thoughtfulness. Yes, these are lofty dreams for my boys. They both have such different personalities that I am not exactly sure how to even teach them these things. In all honesty, they are just 15-mo and 2 1/2 years old. I am not expecting brilliance but I do require respect. It is hard to find a balance between fun and respect, rule and joy but the more the boys follow to the basic rules, the more joy they seem to have. I delight in the challenge to help my boys become gentlemen. It is through writing lists like this, making it concrete for myself, that I can encourage them in small ways towards this end. It is an exciting and overwhelming task but as their biggest fan, I will be with them with encouragement and love every step of the away.

No comments:

Post a Comment