Friday, December 11, 2015

Christmas: Kindness begets kindness

Hello Blog Readers!

I hope you are enjoying the challenge of giving this time of year as you work your way through the Advent Giving Calendar.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am 38-weeks (and 2-days!) pregnant. The last few days I have had little to no energy so I had to switch up a few of the activities to accommodate my weary body.  Today I was feeling well enough to leave the house with my 16-month old in tow to accomplish Day 8: giving the gift of the gospel.

I had to run a few errands, including a stop at the Dollar Store. In want of a Starbucks coffee, I swung by Safeway next door to get my decaf-coffee-fix. They have a little "cafe" seating area right inside. I thought that would be a perfect public space to leave the Bible, with a little note, since a diverse group of people often visit this "cafe."

After I had grabbed my drink, placed the Bible and began exiting the store, the couple behind me had about 8 or so drinks they had ordered. To be honest, my first thought was, "I am glad I was in front of them in line." But quickly my heart was convicted at this judgement, especially when I saw what they did next.  As we all left through the automatic doors, they offered a hot chocolate to the Salvation Army volunteer who was faithfully at his post ringing his bell. WOW! Want an incredible thing to witness. The giver asked if the man was able to consume dairy (how thoughtful!!) and after he said yes, the giver handed him the hot beverage. It was a simple gesture, but the look on the volunteer's face was one of deep gratitude. How a simple gift can have a big impact.

Have you witnessed any random acts of kindness? If so, how has your heart changed because of them? As you have been giving, what are some lessons you have been learning?

Happy Giving!!
~B~

No comments:

Post a Comment