Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Christmas: Advent Calendar



As we enter further still into Advent (which means "coming" in Latin), let us be intentional in remembering not only the birth of Jesus but the expectation of the future coming of the Lord as described in scripture. Reflecting on all the Lord has done & will do, I have created an advent calendar of random acts of kindness to bless others during this season. It is so easy to focus on buying presents, upcoming parties, making everything "perfect" for Christmas, etc. and forget about the true meaning of Christmas. This year I desire to be intentional. If you would like to join me, let me know. I would be more than joyful to share my calendar with you. :) Happy Advent!

I plan on leaving a little note with each gift saying something like, "In the Spirit of Christmas & the celebration of Jesus' birth, enjoy this gift."

Day 1: Go out of my way (& against my already planned activities) to help. The gift of time.

Day 2: In a drive-thru, purchase a gift card and leave it for the person behind me.

Day 3: Leave $5 at the gas pump to bless someone with their next fill-up.

Day 4: Purchase coloring books & crayons from the Dollar Store to leave in the hospital waiting room.

Day 5: Package diapers & wipes to leave on a changing pad in the restroom. 

Day 6: Tape microwave popcorn & $2 onto the nearest RedBox. 

Day 7: Write an encouraging note to a neighbor & drop it by with a treat. 

Day 8: Give the gift of the Gospel. Mark the "Christmas Story" in a new Bible & leave it in a public place.

Day 9: Invite a friend over for a meal, requiring their presence only.

Day 10: Send/take flowers to someone who should be recognized. 

Day 11: Give a small gift & note to the mailman for working so hard during this holiday season.

Day 12: Reflect on someone influential in my life. Write a letter to them expressing my gratitude. 

Day 13: Do a craft with my daughter with the intention of blessing a neighbor or friend.

Day 14: Call someone I haven't spoken with in a while and encourage them with prayer, scripture & conversation.

Day 15: Donate food to our church food bank. 

Day 16: Enjoy a "tech free" day to be present with those I am with. (With the exception of announcing the birth of our baby if he comes on this day :)).

Day 17: Read the Christmas Story from the Bible & text a friend about what stood out to me. Pray for that friend too! 

Day 18: Leave an extra tip for someone at a restaurant, coffeehouse, etc.

Day 19: Do something special that I know my husband will appreciate – food something probably :)

Day 20: Send a Christmas card to a nursing home with a family picture to encourage someone who may not have family. 

Day 21: Give the crosswalk lady a hot chocolate.

Day 22: Say something kind to the waitress or cashier to encourage them for working so hard. Do this everywhere I go. 

Day 23: (My due date!!) Bring chocolates to the nurses at the hospital (if I'm in labor)

Day 24: Journal/blog about what Jesus has taught me through this Advent Season & post it on social media.

Day 25: Be intentional about conversations with family while keeping Jesus at the center of Christmas celebrations.

PRINTABLE/DOWNLOADABLE CALENDAR: 2015 Advent Calendar_Random Acts


No comments:

Post a Comment