Friday, December 4, 2015

Christmas: Advent Calendar Reflection #1


So, have you decided to join in on the Advent fun of blessing others and proclaiming Jesus?

I must say the last four days have really begun to transform my thinking about giving. I have found myself giving others extra grace and being more willing to put myself aside to allow others to go before me...whether that is stopping at a crosswalk while I am driving or making room for someone in line at the store when the line is SUPER long.

I have been learning patience and also been able to see opportunities I would have missed had I not been so intentional.

It is interesting to see how the focus on giving, even just after four days, has transformed my thinking. I feel honor to be able to bless others with simple gifts and words of encouragement. I find myself praying more and seeking to serve God in everyday, ordinary activities. (Both of which I should be doing anyway!! Yes, I feel the sense of conviction rising up in my spirit.)

To be honest, I was a little hesitant at first to start this challenge, being 37 weeks pregnant and all, but it really has helped me take the focus off of me and turn my focus to loving Jesus in a different way. It has changed the way I speak to my 15-month old daughter about giving and receiving as well...teaching her about the importance of sharing what we have with her friends and considering their needs before her own. What wonderful gifts.

What are some things you have been learning as you dive into celebrating the coming of Jesus through giving?

No comments:

Post a Comment