Monday, August 31, 2015

PACI-FAIL! What now?

It was decided last night...today would be the day we start weaning my daughter from her pacifier (which she only uses during sleeping times)

BUT....

I woke up this morning with a swollen throat, hardly able to talk. I quickly realized that mom's get no sick days. What would this day hold?

I crept downstairs to steal a shower before daughter woke up...success! At least I am starting the day clean! (A huge accomplishments on most days). As I dressed, daughter stirred in her crib, quickly arising to tell me it was breakfast time.

"I got this," I said to myself as I sung the song "Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory."

As I prepared breakfast for my little, she was sitting content in her highchair sipping on some milk. Perfect time to put the dishes away (without a little monkey climbing into the dishwasher to "help"). She happily munched on her fruits, cereal and yogurt while I organized all of the clean dishes left from yesterdays brunch.

I opened up the cabinet that holds the plates and bowls. Busily, I started putting dishes in the proper place when.....two heavy ceramic coffee mugs come (literally) crashing on my head, bouncing off the left side before shattering all over the counter (and my daughter's prepared breakfast) all while slicing my pinkie finger.

Strike two for the day.

"When is nap time?" I whispered under my breath,

After a quick errand out and a now fussy daughter, naptime was upon us...the first day of pacifier weaning. Since she was the perfect amount of tiredness (not too sleepy but sleepy enough) I started the naptime routine...minus the pacifier. At first she did okay, fussing slightly as I placed her on the cream crib sheet. I quietly left the room and went downstairs to frost some sugar cookies made the previous night.

Out of nowhere bursts of crying. Our first "I don't have my paci" fit. I let it go on for about 15 minutes before going in there. She was so worked up! Red face, sweaty hair. So, I decided to cut a small hole in one of her pacifiers to see if that would offer any sort of relief...NONE. Screaming continued. I picked her up, rocked her for a moment and in a moment of weakness (and desperation because now it had been about 25-30 minutes since this ordeal started) I gave her her beloved glow-in-the-dark paci. PACI-FAIL!

So, the question that I leave you all is....what now?

No comments:

Post a Comment