Thursday, August 13, 2015

Object lesson: Hunger

**WRITTEN A FEW MONTHS AGO**

Last night a beautiful but skinny black and white cat approached our front door.

It had no home and it was hungry.

Due to the kindness of my husband's heart, he brought out the hard cat food and laid some before the scrawny little creature. The cat ate up quickly but we could tell that it was scared that the food might either be taken away or that the cat might be harmed. Sad.

I thought my husband's gesture was very nice but didn't think another thing about it.

This morning when I was walking out the front door to meet a friend for coffee, the same cat was pacing at our front door steps. I called to my husband to bring the hard food so that I could give this weak, starving cat it's first meal of the day.

I coaxed the cat onto our front steps and showed it the food that I had placed down. I sat there and gently stroking the cat's fur wondering how this cat got in the situation. Moments later I walked off to the car. I did not want to be late for my coffee date. I had to make a quick stop at the grocery store before meeting my friend.

As I drove into the store I saw a homeless man holding a sign on my left hand side. To be honest I cast judgment and thought, "I have no need to bring this man any food." I ran into the store to get a few items that I needed and then I approached my car, hoping I would not be late to meet my friend.

As I walked toward my car I saw the woman who was ahead of me in line. She had purchased a random selection of items in the store; as I stood waiting my turn impatiently I wondered what she was doing with such an eclectic assortment of items. The same woman took that bag of groceries and brought it to the man holding the sign. This brought instant conviction.

God really convicted me through these two situations: the one with our new cat friend and the homeless man holding the sign.

If I can show so much compassion for a stray cat, why was I unable to show compassion towards this homeless man sitting on the side of the road in the parking lot?

I'm not sure I know the answer yet but through God's help in prayer I pray that God will instill in me a compassionate heart. A heart that is willing to trust Him and to serve those He puts on my heart to serve. I am thankful for that woman and her generosity. Without knowing it, God used her to teach me a very valuable lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment