Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Growing a boy: Emotions are still high

Daily, I recount the story of my son's birth. It is increbile to me how personal and how emotional it still is seven months later.

To see my son withing in pain; to see him not reaching the set "milestones" according to his adjusted age; to carry a heavy 20+ pound baby around the house (up and down the stairs multiple times a day); to pray moment by moment for wisdom; to keep records, charts, and details of everything he eats--when, how much, how often.

I am blessed by our sweet youngest but his situation often creates such heartache deep in my soul. Everything about it is emotional.

Just recently we had to switch from breastmilk/formula mix to just formula (since I ran out of dairy-protein-free breastmilk). We stopped mixing in rice cereal because we thought the formula would be thick enough. A sleepless night for all of us because of his SCREAMING, kicking and uncosulable emotions and three bottles later (over a 24-hour period...not a lot of food in-take) we ended up at the doctor's office.

Up to the appointment, Oliver was withing in pain...such terror and confusion in his tear filled eyes as he screamed endlessly for over 3 hours at a time before passing out from exhaustion...hands-tied as parents, not knowing what to do.

The doctor we met had such compassion...even sitting next to me hugging me as I cried my mother-emotional tears as I processed through my son's pain. We resolved that the solution was adding back in the rice cereal into the formula and increasing one of his reflux meds once again. And refraining from solids.

Since our appointment yesterday at 4:15pm, thankfully Oliver is doing much better.

I am so incredibly thankful that the Lord restores my soul. I am so thankful for those gifted and talented medical professionals who show compassion not only to our son but to us...using their knowledge to meet us in our desperate times and in our greatest needs. Parenthood is never easy but I am so thankful I have the Lord, those who join us in prayer and the technology/knowledge to make my son well.

I have nothing but praises and thanksgivings on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment