Sunday, July 3, 2016

Day 8 of Self-Denial

Today marks day 8... day 8 of obedience, disciple, trust and faith in the Lord. ...day 8 of self-denial, strict steadfastness and the ability to say, "NO" multiple times a day. It has been a week of denying the flesh and learning to abide in Him for my strength...

Day 8 of no coffee, soda, caffeine...the only drink: H20.

Of course I still consumed food but last week I was convicted that mainly coffee was my "go-to" for strength and reliance to get though some pretty difficult days. I would wake up in the morning...first thing: COFFEE! (Let the kids scream for just a few more minutes...I just need ONE sip and the world will be made right).

About mid-morning: "I can't handle this. I need an escape. A sense of peace: coffee."

Running errands: "It has been a tough day. Let me just treat myself to a little (okay...16 ounce, triple shot) Americano.

Anyone see a pattern here??!

While I was driving to visit a friends last Saturday, God convicted me of this pattern (as I was sipping a cup of coffee on my one-hour drive). He reminded me that HE is my ONLY source. He should be my ONLY strength. He should be my sense of peace in a world of chaos.

It was hard at first (and my husband thought that I was crazy for not wanting my morning coffee...and he did not know about my vow to God to deny these beverages for a week). When I found myself tempted, Jesus would remind me of the strength HE has given me to endure. He reminded me that He alone has given me all I need to handle daily challenges as I walk in relationship with Him. He reminded me that anything that causes me not to rely on Him is sin. He reminded me that my children (knowingly or unknowingly) watch the patterns of my life and will eventually copy what I do. So I denied myself. Every. Single. Day.... for 7 days (and counting).

It is a good feeling to know that God gave me the gift of restraint. It is a picture for all areas of my life (eating, exercising, etc) that I need to rely on Him for more discipline. You know... all those things we know we should be doing but just can't seem to either do or get under control or find time for.

God is the ultimate satisfaction. In denying the flesh I found that I actually had more time to serve Him. I had more energy to chase around my toddler and care for my 6-month old (even though I encountered some sleepless nights over this past week). I found myself somewhat free from the bondage of "needing" something other than God. I am not sure how long this caffeine fast will last (I might just get a cup of coffee today), but the end result is drawing closer to Jesus. The goal of our live is to glorify Him and if anything is distracting us from that goal we need to be bold enough to say NO...move on and deny ourselves so that Jesus can be glorified in every action, thought and attitude.

To God be the Glory, forever and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment