Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Growing in health: A wrist device

It all started about six months ago when I got my Fitbit. I realized how restless my sleep was. How inactive my body was. And more importantly, I realized how anxious I was as noted by my high resting heart rate.

In a season of uncertainty, on many levels, I allowed my mental stress to affect my physical health. Within a few weeks, I began to recognize the signs my body was giving off when my heart rate was increasing: Shoulders up to the ears. Heart pounding a little faster. My hands clenching the steering wheel just a little tighter. My voice raising. (Do any of these things sound familiar to you?) None of these things are good or healthy. None of these things do I want my children to learn— My bad habits.

Today driving the kids to school, I was again thankful for the little device around my wrist. At a stoplight, I glanced down and I noticed that my heart rate was way too high given the fact that I was simply just sitting in a car. After taking several deep breathes, releasing my shoulder tension, and losing my grip around the steering wheel, my heart rate dropped by five points! Can you believe it!?

I resist to use the word “mindfulness,” maybe I am just learning to be more aware—but I would recommend that each one of us take a look into our habits and our physical reaction to the world around us. Within minutes, I felt so much more peace and calm. My mind was clear and my words were more succinct. I was able to fully present with my children on the rest of the drive to school. 

In a world where life demands multitasking, our bodies simply cannot catch up! There is no doubt that certain seasons are busier than others. And certain times of the day that are more strenuous than others. Regardless, we are called as believers to take every thought captive to the Lord! As we do this, we can experience what true peace truly feels like!

I write this not as a sales pitch for a fitness device but rather as a reminder to check in with your body. Examine your attitude and your actions and how those might be influencing (either positively or negatively) not only yourself but those around you! I was surprised I have learned so much about myself from a tiny little device wrapped around my wrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment