Monday, April 8, 2019

Growing a boy: traumatic event-anniversaries

I am suppose to be working right now (two kids are in preschool and the nanny is watching the other) yet all I can Google is "how to deal with traumatic events" and "traumatic event-anniversaries." Why can't I just get over it already. I am done processing, re-living and re-hashing the details two years ago....but I am compelled.

I prayed that Jesus would just sit with me and let me cry on His shoulder. Maybe that is just what I need? It seems so silly in many ways...our son is fine. I am fine. We are fine. I just don't understand why these emotions are so big and so real and so in my face.

I need to focus. I have a million things to do this week. My mind is full.

April use to be my favorite month...my birthday month. I am privileged to share this birthday-month with my youngest son but now the first few weeks (or more) of the month are spent dealing with the grief of the traumatic events two years ago. I don't even care much about my birthday any more but rather just want it to pass so that we can move into May...the "happy month."

It is a weird season where my head and heart don't agree. It is a season of contradiction and unexpected emotions. It is a season that I feel I burden people with my story---does anyone even care? Are people tired of me bringing it up? Tired of me talking about the same old story over and over? Maybe these are untruths but it is my fear in my grief that cause me to not want to talk about my story. I don't want people to "feel bad" for me but rather join me in the journey. I want people to ask me about it...to ask and listen with genuine care. Yet, again, I don't want to burden those around me with another "sob story" with a happy ending.

I am thankful for a place, like this, to express my raw emotions. To process through. A place to put my thoughts and a place to ask for prayer. I am not even sure if anyone reads what I write but for me, it is important to share this journey. Many others, I am sure, have experienced these same emotions to a degree. You are not alone. Jesus is with you! I am sure there is a community eager to hear your story...so share! Find a way to share. YOUR story is important. Your story is not who you are, your identity) but rather a part of who are are becoming as these events shape your actions. So who ever is reading this, leave encouraged. Leave knowing that none of us are alone. Leave with the love of Jesus resting upon you for HE is the great healer. HE will redeem these "icky" moments and make them glorious in His own way (only if we allow Him).

In peace and trust-
~B~

No comments:

Post a Comment