Sunday, August 5, 2012

On Grieving: Oh Glorious Day


One month ago yesterday, I lost a dear friend in a motorcycle accident. He was 31-years old; survived by his beautiful bride of 9 years and two adorable children, 9 and 7.

This month has been a month of processing, reflecting, grieving, and accepting what happened on July 4, 2012 around 4pm.

Like the ocean waves, my grief comes in waves. One moment I am doing okay; and the next, my heart breaks for the lost (and how it is affecting his family and my friends.)

Yesterday, a group from church held a garage sale to raise money for the family. I was overwhelmed by the generosity of the patrons, yet sad as I told them what we were raising money for. Some people knew about the purpose behind the sale and others were deeply saddened when they heard.

In a way, it was good to share what had happened…almost healing. Yet in another way, it made it real all over again. I know that grief has no timeframe and no real end point; but I pray that it will get easier with time for me and everyone affected (especially his family!).
Today in church we were singing “Oh Glorious Day.” Here are the lyrics that touched me:

Oh, Glorious Day
Oh, Glorious Day

One day the trumpet will
Sound for His coming
One day the skies with His
Glories will shine
Wonderful day
My beloved was bringing
Glorious Savior this Jesus is mine


Never more in my life have I desired Jesus to part the clouds and come down to earth. With recent events, my eyes have been opened to the hurt and sorrow in this world. How I would LOVE to see the Jesus that my friend is now enjoying in Heaven. How I would love to have Jesus as our focus. I guess that is the real hope of my faith, the promise of spending eternity with Jesus. This has also been the one hope that is getting me through this whole situation.

I am thankful to have a Jesus who hears me, comforts me, and never leaves me.
If you pray, please pray for all of us who are still grieving from this terrible lost. I know that His ways are not our ways; and His time not our time. 

“Lord, help us embrace this and turn to you daily as our hope!” ~Amen~

1 comment:

  1. You put into words so well, Brandi, what so many of us are feeling. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. Most of the time I can push it back and carry on, but sometimes the hurt comes bubbling back up to the top. Laying in bed last night after such a rewarding, busy day, I started reliving the moment we found out and the pain just clenches your heart all over again. And yet, now I understand a little bit when Pastor says "Lord, come quickly!" As more of our loved ones enter His kingdom and wait for us there, the more we look forward to that glorious day when we will be reunited and see the face of God!
    ~Jill B.

    ReplyDelete